Wednesday 24 June 2009

Why all the fuss about live feed?

Hi folks, I'd like to share why I feel 24/7 live feed is such an important part of the Big Brother experience.

Firstly, like many fans, I want to make my own mind up about the housemates - and the highlights show doesn't provide enough to allow us to see what they're really like. What is shown tends to focus on ;) the highlights and any necessary footage to enable viewers to understand events. This means that many housemates tend to become invisible and are then dubbed as dull or boring. Remember Rachel last year? it was only when she featured in a big row with Sexy Rexy that she became popular - but live feed viewers had already warmed to her character long before that and liked the way she dealt with conflict situations, her quietly supportive attitude towards Mikey and her sense of fun. Not everyone agreed with my reading of her character I'm sure - and that was half the attraction. The feeling that I could see more clearly what a housemate was really like. So Live Feed lets fans get to know all the housemates in a much deeper, meaningful way. And because we know them better, we connect and care about them more.

Secondly, live feed stimulated lots of discussion, both in the press, on forums and it added excitement and interest. I would rush to tune in when there had been a bit of barney the night before to see how things were the next morning. I could watch the other housemates reactions. No, I didn't watch 24/7 (who could?) but I was a keen follower of the live update thread on Channel 4 forums. It meant that I could always catch up on the day's events in the house so I didn't miss out on any of the developments and could find out the latest buzz. When nominations were announced to the house, you could either watch or read what happened next. Now I can't be bothered to watch nominations at all - and don't have any interest on who's up.

Lastly, I particularly miss the excitement of coming home on a Fridays' to watch the preparations inside the house: everyone primping, nominees pretending not to care, their allies rallying around them, and their 'enemies' ignoring them or giving insincere support. For me, the tension has completely gone from Eviction night - I haven't watched one this year apart from poor Benazir being sent home in a bus.

So that's my reasons for making a fuss - without live feed - it's not Big Brother, its not reality TV and its not worth watching


2 comments:

  1. I mita as well have my say about the lack of the Live Feed for BB10.

    Now I normally a quiet unassuming person, quite happ to go along with most things. However this summerm, I was asked by C4, well actually they assumed I would just go along with their decision to remove day time Live Feed.

    Well I will not go along with this lack of Live Feed during the day. It has completely spoilt my BB watching this year.

    Please bring Live Feed Back.

    Now we know Big Ears and Noddy are becoming involved in this farce, pretty soon there will be others voicing their opinions on the subject.

    As this is my first blogg comment I am now going to sign off.

    DS to you all ;)

    Well this

    ReplyDelete
  2. Munkety basically I agree with every word!

    In my circumstance, i work 6am til 2pm, in previous years U would finish work, have my dinner and relax with the housemates in the afternoon and evening, really get to know them as well as it was possible.
    Now what do i have, nothing basically, a piss poor BBLB with George "I really hate this show really" Lamb, highlights at ridicolous o'clock and "live feed" at an even more pathetic time slot.
    Channel 4 should have saved us all the bother, axed the show and Endemol should have sold it to a channel who really cares about the format.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for showing your support